Canada is a place of pride, diversity and opportunity, but for some Canadians, finding one of those traits is a challenge.
Many are reluctant to go out in public because of concerns about the potential for bullying, and their own safety.
But some are looking for something else, and they are finding it in the digital world.
The Globe and Mail has compiled a list of some of the more unusual Canadians who have been drawn to the digital space.
Here are their stories.
• Elizabeth Sirois is a graphic designer who has spent years looking for inspiration.
In 2012, she was in Paris and saw a poster for a Canadian cartoon character who lived in a Canadian town called Bayshore.
“I thought, this is the perfect way to tell a story,” she said.
“We’re so Canadian, we should make a cartoon.”
• Danielle Mathers was born in Canada, raised in Britain, and spent the last few years living in New Zealand.
When she returned to Canada to study graphic design, she began looking for ways to tell stories that are more Canadian.
Her design work has been featured in magazines, such as The Canadian and The Atlantic, and she has also been a regular contributor to the CBC.
“When I was younger, I’d be drawing in my bedroom, I would just take my ideas and go and do it,” she told the CBC’s The Current. “
“The more I look at it now, I think it’s a little bit more than just drawing, and I just really like to tell people stories.” “
When I was younger, I’d be drawing in my bedroom, I would just take my ideas and go and do it,” she told the CBC’s The Current.
“The more I look at it now, I think it’s a little bit more than just drawing, and I just really like to tell people stories.”
• Lila O’Reilly is an American who grew up in California and is now based in Montreal.
She started her career as a graphic artist, and now designs illustrations and artwork for websites and other media.
“In a lot of ways, I’ve always been drawn into the creative process,” she wrote in an email.
“As a young girl, I had a passion for the arts, and then as an adult, I have developed a passion to design and create things in a way that I feel is truly unique to my country and my people.
I’ve created pieces that are inspired by Canada, the United States, and my own life in general.”
• Tania Kowalski is a designer from New York City.
She’s drawn for fashion magazines, fashion designers and magazines for fashion-conscious women.
In 2010, she started working at an online fashion platform called Tania.com, which is a marketplace for women to sell their clothes.
She later moved on to create designs for other women’s online platforms, including Bumble and Bumble Girl.
“It is my love of design, and it’s my passion for storytelling,” she explained.
“Sometimes when I’m writing about design, I feel like I’m telling a story.
I feel as though I’m giving someone a little piece of my heart.”
• Kaitlyn Hines, a graphic writer and illustrator, is a self-described “visual artist,” and she started her online magazine, Kaitlin, as a way to explore how people use their art to make their lives better.
Her work has appeared in publications such as the Los Angeles Times and New York Magazine.
“At this point, I’m definitely a more self-directed person,” she says.
“If I’m going to be doing my job properly, I want to find ways to be creative.
I want that to be in my work.
That’s what I love most about being a writer, and writing a story is something I’m not really used to doing.”
• Rebecca Koehler is an English writer and the author of “The Secret Life of the Book” and the graphic novel “A Thousand Fears.”
She also writes for the online magazine Fandom, and her books include “Pony Express” and “My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.”
• Lisa Gagnon, a Canadian graphic designer, is also a former fashion designer, and has been making a name for herself by designing graphic novels for brands such as Calvin Klein, Victoria’s Secret and Urban Outfitters.
Her latest book, “The Girl Who Knew Too Much,” was published in 2015.
“Designing and creating art and design is not just about getting inspiration from others, but it’s about telling your own story and letting others tell yours,” she writes on her website.
“With my work I’m always pushing myself to be more creative.”
• Kate Mather is an Australian graphic designer.
She has worked in advertising and design for more than a decade.
Mather began her career at a company called Creative Marketing Consultants and has since moved on.
“There are so many creative, ambitious people out there that I admire and admire,” she tells the CBC News Network